quarta-feira, 5 de agosto de 2009

Cernunnos, the Horned God


If I had to give The Horned God a name, it would be Cernunnos, I always liked the way it's pernounced and what it means, literally the "Horned One". He's my protector, father and mentor. He's the one I pray too whenever I need protection and guidance.
The Horned God reflects the seasons of the year in an annual cycle of life, death and rebirth. Cernunnos in his ancient Celto-European form is the guardian of the forests, the defender of the animal tuatha, the source of the deep forest wisdom, and the masculine half of the divine. Cernunnos is also the God the Dead, Healing and wealth. He rules Nature, animals and abundance, with the Goddess help and inconditional love.
He's a vital yet non-violent nor agressive masculine divinity, in fact, personally, I find him protective and peaceful.

Yet we know him by many titles: "The God of Hunt", "The Lord of the Forest", "The God of Wildlife", well, all titles seem to fit him very well. Cernnunos is almost if not always, portrayed with animals, either is a stag, wolves, bears, snakes, foxes and so on. He is also associated with a unique beast that seems to belong primarily to him: a serpent with the horns (and NO, it's not the snake that tricked Eve and Adam.) He sits cross-legged surrounded by forest wildlife, holding the snake in one hand and a torc ( the Celtic sign of Nobility and power) in the other. He has a large sack of treasure, to be either coins or grain.





☽◯☾ Lady Crove

1 comentário:

  1. I've recently just though that I needed a change in life. I've begun by reading a little about wicca. I was looking into The Horned One and stumble into this. I was afraid since most images I found showed a goat like figure more like the devil. Stumbling into this page has really helped. It really draws me in to hear how this God is. Thanks for the beautiful description and the really cool picture.

    ResponderEliminar